Septic Tank Abandonment Permit
You must have the following items:
1. Complete the Application Page. All applicable information must be completed. The application will not be processed without a property street address and folio number/property ID (parcel number). NOTE: Please list the property owner as the applicant on the application and the abandonment contractor as the agent. Only licensed septic tank contractors, state licensed plumbers, or property owners on owner occupied properties may perform septic tank abandonments.
2. A Site Plan must be provided. The site plan does not need to be to scale but must show the layout of the property including building structures, streets, and the location of the septic tank to be abandoned.
3 A fee of $50.00. Please make checks payable to Florida Department of Health in Hillsborough County or FL DOH-Hillsborough
Abandonment procedures AFTER the permit has been issued:
1. The septic tank must be pumped out by a state licensed septage disposal company who shall provide a receipt to the health department inspector. Alternatively, if the tank is empty and dry at the commencement of the abandonment, a written statement to that effect by the septage disposal company or contractor performing the abandonment shall be provided to the health department.
2. The abandonment procedure can only be performed by a septic tank contractor, a licensed plumber or the homeowner of an occupied home.
3. The bottom of the tank shall be crushed or caved in, or multiple holes punched into the bottom of the tank to prevent the tank from holding water.
4. The septic tank contractor, a licensed plumber or the homeowner shall call this office for an inspection after the tank is crushed and filled with suitable fill material. Failure to call for the required inspection could result in a citation or fine.
5. Place a flag in front of the property at the street and at the location of the abandoned septic tank.
6. DO NOT LEAVE AN OPEN HOLE IN THE GROUND.
If you should have any questions, please call (813) 307-8059