HIV/AIDS Program Office
The HIV/AIDS Program Office coordinates HIV/AIDS planning, contracts, and program development and evaluation in support of the National HIV/AIDS Strategy. The Program Office, primarily covering Hernando, Hillsborough, and Manatee Counties, serves as the liaison to the Florida Department of Health Bureau of Communicable Diseases, HIV/AIDS Section. The Program Office manages provider contracts for HIV/AIDS patient care, prevention, and early intervention services in the region.
Program Office staff are responsible for training counselors for publicly funding HIV testing sites. Other early intervention activities include perinatal HIV prevention programs and establishing, coordinating, maintaining, and evaluating HIV counseling, testing, and linkage (CTL) sites in the area, as well as for Hardee, Highlands, Pasco, Pinellas, and Polk Counties.
Find HIV Testing Sites
- Hardee County
- Hernando County
- Highlands County
- Hillsborough County
- Manatee County
- Pasco County
- Pinellas County
- Polk County
Minority AIDS Initiatives
The Minority AIDS Coordinator provides technical assistance, capacity building, community mobilization services, and education on HIV/AIDS patient care, prevention, and early intervention issues to minority-based organizations, faith-based institutions, and the community at-large. This program covers the same eight counties as early intervention.
- We Make the Change is the state of Florida’s web site for HIV prevention activities, minority campaigns and resources, and community activities.
- Faith Responds to AIDS (FRTA) is a link to faith-based materials for HIV/AIDS programs.
Trainers from the HIV/AIDS Program Office provide science-based prevention and linkage to care interventions in Hillsborough County, taking into account the target populations and prevention interventions implemented by community providers. The following links are to the interventions most commonly provided by health department staff.
- Partnership for Health is implemented in our HIV/AIDS clinic; it uses message framing, repetition, and reinforcement during patient visits to increase HIV positive patients' knowledge, skills, and motivations to practice safer sex.
- VOICES/VOCES (Video Opportunities for Innovative Condom Education and Safer Sex) is a group-level, single-session video-based intervention designed to increase condom use among high-risk heterosexuals. The intervention has also been tailored for men who have sex with men (MSM).
- Condom Distribution programs strive to make condoms available, accessible, and acceptable. Making condoms widely available is integral to successful HIV prevention.
The following are very useful web sites dedicated to providing current and accurate HIV/AIDS information:
- Center for Disease Control - HIV/AIDS provides comprehensive HIV/AIDS information on statistics, transmission, treatment, patient care, prevention, research, disease facts, counseling and testing, funding and national conferences.
- National Prevention Information Network is a resource for educational materials including fact sheets, FAQs, brochures, videos, books, reports, posters and various other prevention items.
- West Central Florida Ryan White Care Council is a planning body that assesses needs, plans, allocates resources, and evaluates HIV/AIDS patient care services for Hardee, Hernando, Highlands, Hillsborough, Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, and Polk Counties.