Biomedical and Sharps Waste
Environmental Health Services inspects, permits and investigates any complaints associated with facilities that generate, transport and/or treat biomedical waste in Hillsborough County or dispose of the waste improperly.
If you have any questions concerning any of our programs, call Monday through Friday, 8 am to 4:30 pm, Phone 307-8059 Fax 272-7242
How Should I Dispose of Used Needles and Syringes?
The Bay Area Sharps Disposal Program was designed as a community service to assist the residents of Hillsborough County with a safe and environmentally sound method for disposing of used needles or "sharps."
- Never dispose of a sharps container in your household waste!
- Attempt to use the disposal site only during the hours listed in the brochure.
- Do not bring sharps to the disposal sites in anything other than the approved sharps containers provided by the site.
- Always make sure your container is properly sealed. The disposal site has the right to refuse any improperly packaged containers in order to protect the safety of their employees.
- When disposing of your filled sharps containers, always give the container to authorized personnel. Never leave the container unattended.
- Remember, the disposal sites have voluntarily accepted the burden and cost of
disposingthis potentially harmful waste. Encourage their continued support by participating responsibly.
The improper disposal of sharps threatens the safety of every member of the community, as they may be contaminated with hepatitis, HIV, and/or other serious diseases.
For more information and disposal site locations, grab our brochure.