Food Manager Certification
A “Food Manager” is a person who is responsible for the food establishment and/or has direct authority, control or supervision over employees who engage in the storage, preparation, display, or service of foods. They are not required to have the “job title” of manager.
A "Certified Food Manager" is one who has passed a written certification test, which has been approved by the Department, which demonstrates a basic knowledge of food protection practices.
What type of Food Establishments are required to have a Certified Food Manager?
Food service establishments as defined in Section 381.0072, Florida Statutes, are required to meet manager certification requirements, unless otherwise exempted. All establishments required to have a certified food manager shall designate, in writing, the food service manager or managers for each location. The establishments include, but are not limited to:
- Public and Private Schools using a contracted food service provider (i.e. food workers not employed by the school)
- Fraternal organizations
- Mobile Food Units and Caterers that are required to maintain a Department of Health Food Sanitation Certificate
- Detention facilities
Residential Facilities that are required to maintain a Department of Health food certificate, such as, but not limited to:
- Assisted Living Facilities
- Adult Day Cares
- Intermediate Care Facility for the Developmentally Disabled (ICFDD)
- Prescribed Pediatric Extended Care (PPEC)
The following types of food service establishments are exempted from Department of Health manager certification requirements:
- Bars and lounges
- Public and private schools (provided that the food service is operated by school employees)
- Civic Organizations
- Theaters that are required to maintain a Department of Health food certificate
How do I become a Certified Food Manager?
Please contact the approved test provider for times, dates, and cost of the examination as well as ordering training materials and scheduling a preparation course. Make sure you request the Florida Department of Health, Food Manager Certification test information, since these providers do offer examinations for other food related programs.
To become a certified food manager in compliance with Department of Health requirements, individuals must successfully pass a certification examination administered by any approved Manager Certification Test Provider.
- 1 AAA Food Safety (AAA Food Safety, LLC) (714) 592-4100
- APS Culinary Dynamics (DBA: World Food Safety Organization)
- Certus/StateFoodSafety (801) 494-1416
- Learn2Serve (formerly 360training) (877) 881-2235
- My Food Service License (877) 590-5964
- National Registry of Food Safety Professionals (800) 446-0257
- National Restaurant Association Solutions (formerly ServSafe) (800) 765-2122
- Relish Works, Inc. (DBA: Trust20)
- Responsible Training / Safeway Certifications, LLC (866) 409-9190
- The Always Food Safe Company, LLC
For more information on Food Manager training, visit our main Food Manager training page.