Meet the Director
Douglas A. Holt, MD., F.A.C.P.
Director, Florida Department of Health - Hillsborough County
Morsani College of Medicine and College of Public Health Professor
Douglas A. Holt, M.D., F.A.C.P., has been Health Officer of the Florida Department of Health in Hillsborough County (DOH-H) since 1996. The health department provides services to the county’s 1.4 million residents and is responsible for assessing, maintaining, and improving health and safety within the county. Dr. Holt is also a Professor of Medicine at the University of South Florida (USF) where he teaches and sees patients.
Dr. Holt was the Acting Deputy State Health Officer from September 2001 to February 2002 and July 2011 to August 2011. He is a member of many state and local organizations such as the Hillsborough County healthcare Advisory Board, Child Abuse Death Review Committee (CADR), Family Healthcare Foundation, Hillsborough County Medical Association, Florida Medical Association, past Florida Public Health Association President, National Association of County & City Health Officials, CDC Public Health Leadership Society, Children’s Board Advocacy Committee, and the Healthy Start Coalition Board of Director’s.
Over the years, Dr. Holt has received many honors and awards
In addition to the community activities, Dr. Holt has played an active role in many Florida Department of Health workgroups and committees, including the Fiscal Management Advisory Council, Fetal Infant Mortality Review Board, the Secretary’s Roundtable, Public Health Physician Advisory Group, and the Florida Association of County Health Officers.
Dr. Holt has led an initiative to incorporate quality management and a co-creating philosophy throughout the Florida Department of Health in Hillsborough County. The health department is initiating new alliances to better leverage available funding to achieve its mission which includes collaborating with organizations and local universities to advance the public health system to state-of-the-art levels. The Florida Department of Health’s Vision and Values focus is on Customers, Employees, and the Community and serves as the foundation for all we do, now and in the future.
B.S., Davidson College, Davidson, North Carolina, 1980
M.D., University of South Alabama, College of Medicine, Mobile, Alabama, 1984
Honors and Accolades:
• Barness/ Behnke Chapter, Gold Humanism Honor Society, March 2014
• USF Area Community Civic Association, INC., Edwin Radice Distinguished Service Award, October 2009
• Florida Association of County Health Officers, Appreciation Award, November 2006
• University of South Florida College of Public Health Outstanding Partner Award, Florida Center for Public Health Preparedness, 2004
• Tampa Fire Rescue, Appreciation Award, October 2003
• University of South Florida Lifetime Appreciation, 2003
• State of Florida, Commendation, Dedicated Service and Outstanding Leadership, 2001
• Hillsborough County Board of County Commissioners, Certificate of Appreciation, 2001
• Outstanding Community Service Award, University of Tampa, Department of Nursing, 2000